What I liked most about this chili is that it contained more beans than it contained meat. I don’t really care for beans when they are eaten by themselves. I like to have them mixed in with something, this way I am still getting the nutrition that I need. You still get the same effect 😊. As mentioned in an earlier post I really enjoy chili and soup in these cold months. Its just beneficial and quite easy to cook and last for days. Just throwing the ingredients in a crockpot/slow cooker is like the easiest recipe ever lol. With this chili you are more than welcomed to add toppings to become fuller. Toppings like jalapenos, cheese, avocados, pico de gallo, etc. You can even eat it with gluten free tortilla chips and/or multigrain bread from your local bakery. I eat them with Ritz Whole Grain crackers. I eat the chili with 6 of those and then once they are gone I continue to eat the chili by itself. The original recipe didn’t call for it to be cooked in the crockpot but since it was chili it just made sense to me. I believe this recipe costs about $10 NOT INCLUDING the spices. I used turkey meat too. I found this recipe a year ago and just got around to making it. Food prepping means a lot to me so it went great with my routine! Here are the ingredients and instructions.
1 lb ground turkey meat or ground chicken
2 (15oz) cans of red kidney beans
1 (15oz) can of sweet corn
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
3 garlic cloves minced
1 medium sweet onion
1 red medium bell pepper
4 tbs chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp cumin
- Of course, chop up your onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Use a nonstick skillet to sauté the ground turkey with 1 tsp olive oil on medium heat. Be sure to really ground the meat, turkey meat can get chunky.
- In the same skillet add more olive oil if the pan is dry and sauté the onion and bell pepper together.
- Put all the ingredients into the crockpot/slow cooker and put on low for 3 hours.
- Stir in between, at least every 30 minutes. It may seem like it is not liquefied enough, but it will simmer and be okay.
- Add salt for tasting and flavor.
- Keep on warm until ready to serve. Serve with toppings of your choice!